Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Speechless.

I don't know what to say. It's like my beloved show has become a Stepford Wife. Right now I believe that Dancing With the Stars has more integrity than SYTYCD. Dang. My thoughts as they happened:
Cat is wearing a toga and Shankman thinks she looks hot. I think I've seen her wear a toga at least two other times this season. But at least her hair looks normal. There are no video packages for the contestants and they are cramming nine dances into one hour. Where are the solos? Why are there six contestants in the finale? Why isn't everyone dancing with everyone, like they've done every season until now?
Kathryn and Ryan are dancing a samba. It's okay, but I think that Ryan's lack of shirt is annoying, and it's distracting me that he's not wearing shoes. The judges spend more time talking than Kathryn and Ryan spent dancing. Maybe this show should be retitled "So You Think You Can Be a Pompous Old Windbag"?
Ellenore and Jakob are on with a Tyce number. I think Tyce feels threatened by all of the attention showered on Joey Dowling for her Fossey-esque style. So Tyce does a number from Fossey with all of those elements thrown in. Ellenore looks a bit out of control at times with her crazy kicks.
Ashleigh and Russell are next with lyrical jazz. I rewind to make sure I heard it right that it's a Sonya number. Really? I am left a little sad, because Sonya's pieces are usually dark and quirky, just the way I like them. This piece seems a bit. . . generic. Sigh.
Ellenore (wait -- didn't she JUST dance??) and Ryan are up with a jazz number. It's pretty cool. Ellenore truly shines! Ryan seems woefully outmatched, and not at all flexible. Can he not kick above his waist?
Ashleigh and Jakob are foxtrotting (that's two ballroom numbers out of nine -- how many more are we going to see?). I go to the kitchen to wash dishes while they dance.
My question about the ballroom numbers is answered when Russell and Ellenore start dancing their Paso. I am concerned that we are 35 minutes into the show and Ellenore is already done performing. Nigel you are SHAMELESS.
Jakob and Kathryn (where has she been for the last 30 minutes??) stay almost entirely airborne for their contemporary number. I think they are immune to gravity. Very nice.
Ryan and Ashleigh are dancing a Travis Wall piece (Nice. This couldn't be more of an obvious set-up! Argh!). It seems very basic and easy. It's sweet to see their tenderness. The judges have nothing to say about the dancing (but is that really a surprise?).
We end the night with a NappyTab yawn-fest. From the beginning where they turn in that awkward circle, I am left cold.
And that's it. What do I say to this? My bullets:
  • How is it that Ellenore was totally set up for failure?
  • Where are the solos? Where are the memorable routines? I am still in awe of Jeanine's solo from last season's finale!
  • Doesn't Cat always do a final interview with the contestants?
  • Why was there no group routine?
  • Why didn't the boys dance together? Or the girls? Does no one remember Benji and Travis' routine? Danny and Niel?
Argh!! I am so frustrated!!! Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!

1 comment:

Ada Reid-Watson said...

I agree, it was a pretty woeful night. And tonight, it's 2 hours of BS to announce the winner. At least Katie Holmes isn't scheduled to apear.
Here's who I think will win: Russell, with Jakob or Kathryn in second.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.