Saturday, June 21, 2008

Girl Power!

Can I just say how glad I am that Stephanie won Top Chef? It is so great to see a girl win in such a male dominated field! Good for her. And I'm glad it was someone nice, too. Not a crazy schizo like everyone else on the show. Although I was really really pulling for Antonia. She won me over at: "We don't let Andrew talk to customers. Seriously." Fantastic.

So let's talk menus (I'm only including Richard and Stephanie because, well, did Lisa's presence even really matter?):

Richard:
Fish Course: "The Beginning": Grilled Scallop with Pineapple Vinegar and Mango -- I wanted this to work soooo badly. I'm one of those people that always looks at scallops with a twinge of sadness. They are so perfect to look at, but alas, never have I had one that tastes great. Sigh.
Poultry Course: "Which Came First?": Guinea Hen, Duck, Foie Gras, and Chicken Egg with Spring Vegetables -- Yikes this just looked heavy heavy heavy.
Red Meat Course: "Be the Bacon": Pork Belly with Pickled Radish and Mirin Broth -- You don't know how many times I wish I could be the bacon. And again, I am just soooooo sad about this course. Pork belly, or as I call it, Mannah from Heaven, is just superdelicious when done right. Richard, you could have been great with this! Curses!
Dessert Course: "The End": Banana Scallop with Bacon Ice Cream and Cilantro Stem -- This is the course that frustrated me the most. This is the meal of your life and you do reruns?!?! What a bad call. And bacon ice cream? Hasn't he ever seen Iron Chef? Ice cream is the kiss of death!

On to our winner. . .

Stephanie:
Fish Course: Sauteed Red Snapper Filet with Truffled White Asparagus and Clam Broth -- despite my psychological allergy to all things fish, this actually looked super tasty. Everything about it looked great.
Poultry Course: Seared Quail Breast with Butter Poached Lobster Ravioli and Mango -- lobster, not so much. But add the mango and quail? Nice.
Red Meat Course: Roasted Lamb Medallions with Maitake Mushrooms, Braised Pistachios, and Blackberry -- I love lamb. Love. Lamb. So why didn't this look good to me? Was it just the presence of the dreaded fungus? Although I will add that I am intrigued by those braised pistachios. Interesting. I might have to get some pistachios from Trader Joe's and try that out. Or just eat the whole bag of pistachios while watching Top Chef. That counts too, right?
Dessert Course: Ricotta Pound Cake with Lime Glaze, Pineapple, and Salted Banana Cream -- Poor chefs stuck with a dessert course. How come we didn't see a mousse or something simple like that? Why is everyone either baking or doing reruns? Blerg!

Overall, I was more intrigued by Richard's menu, but Stephanie with her even demeanor pulled it out in the end. Good for her. Sad for Richard. Lisa who?

So that's my first review. Let's open it up for discussion, fellow Top Chef nerds. I'll leave you with my final favorite moment:
Gail Simmons, Top Chef's Nina Garcia, in a moment of deep thought:


No comments: