Thursday, July 24, 2008

Last Night Rocked! Yes it Did!

Last night is probably one of my favorite shows of all the seasons! Everything about it was great! Cat's ensemble was not horrifying, Mary was a manageable level of crazy, the dances were fantastic, and Toni Basil was a judge! Hey SYTYCD you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey SYTYCD!!!
Let's jump right into the dances:
Courtney and Will: first up is a samba choreographed by Jean-Marc Genereux. When did Jean Marc become so cool? I usually don't like samba, but for some reason the samba is speaking to me almost every time this season. Nice job! Next they have a slow hip-hop and everyone is gushing about how there's never been a slow hip-hop number on the show. Hello?!?!?! What about Dom and Sabra last season????? How quick we are to forget. It was a nice routine, but Napoleon and Tabitha are getting on my nerves. It seems like almost every dance with them is about someone leaving, dying, or leaving to die. Sigh.
Twitch and Katee: a Mia Michaels routine. Awesome! Contrary to some other opinions out there, I thought that the kiss was great! Woo woo! I loved the whole routine: the door, the music, costumes (FINALLY the costume department is not hating on the contestants!), and especially the dancing. Great job. Next for them is a Broadway routine. Tyce gave them some love with that routine. Good for him. Some of these Broadway routines have been boring me to tears, but somehow the stars have aligned for this night.
Mark and Comfort: How is it chance that the bottom two would be paired together? I don't know -- this seems rigged. First they dance a hip-hop routine choreographed by TabNap. It's nice and for once no one is dying or saying goodbye. Really good job. Next they have a foxtrot and I thought it was pretty fun until the judges started talking. And then I still didn't think it was as bad as they said it was. However it is definitely the low point of the evening.
Chelsie and Joshua: Let's have a moment of silence for my dreamy Dmitry choreographing their first number. Can I drool over him more (later we can talk about how I tried to steal a picture of Daniel Craig last night at the movie theater)?? I like this Argentine tango. They do a great job. Totally fun and not snooze worthy like so many other Argentine tangos I've seen on the show. But what are the chances that Chelsie has two Argentine tangos?? This thing is rigged, I tell you! Rigged!!! Next they have a disco number choreographed by the last holdout of the disco-age, Dorianna Crazyface. Even with the groovy lifts I was not too impressed. Her routines are just one-notes the whole way. We could have stopped with disco in the first season, if you ask me. And is it just me or did Joshua keep messing up? I swear I saw at least three or four mistakes in there. He just looked like he was scrambling the whole way!
As far as solos go there were a couple of standouts. Will is an obvious one, and I am curious to see if his James Brown impersonation won or lost him votes. I also really enjoyed Twitch, Courtney, and Comfort. Chelsie and Mark definitely had the weakest solos.
Overall tonight was so great -- it's nights like this that remind me why this is my favorite show! Here are some favorite moments and predictions for you as I bid adieu until this evening:
  • The return of the Hot Tamale Train: blerg.
  • Katee dressed up as our favorite train wreck, Amy Winehouse. Classic.
  • The fantastic kiddie pics of all the contestants.
  • Dreamy Dmitry!!
  • Bottom four: Chelsie, Mark, Comfort, Will
  • Going home: Mark and Comfort.
Okay, so what did you think? Are you all soooooo excited for the tour????? Hopefully tonight I'm a supergenius again!

3 comments:

angie said...

i totally thought katee was amy winehouse,too!! loved that dance, by the way, when twitch jumped over her i was totally surprised - can't wait to watch it again!

tony basil was a little michael jackson in the nose department - right?!

overall, i loved it. but, i think i liked last week better. last night kept making me want to see other people dance together...i wanted katee back with will and i wanted twitch with comfort.

i say goodbye to mark (whose eyes are so crazy big when he is talking to the judges) and comfort!

Mindy and Tyler said...

ok jen. you need to post about the results show so we can discuss. i'm so angry about the bottom two guys i wanted to stop watching the show last night.

angie said...

mind, i am dying! will - what the!! there aren't words