Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sequins and Tuxes and Bowties -- Oh My!

Poor Cat. I mean really, poor Cat. She's super tall and skinny and younger than me and hosting a fabulous hit show. She must have such a hard time finding things to wear. I can think of NO reason (except for a drunk stylist) for the bib/tux/bow tie number she was wearing tonight. Argh! Cat! At least she got to do the hairstyle she wanted.
Cat's Mary Murphy-esque ensemble was a portent of the nature of tonight's show: bleh. I was underwhelmed tonight. Most of the dances were a snooze. There were maybe three or four routines that I thought were up to standard: the two Mia routines and the two Mandy Moore routines. And that's it. And there were fourteen dances!
First up:
Jessica and Will: Leave poor Jessica alone about holding Will back! I totally disagree. Sometimes I think that Will is too hammy and too "jazzy." Tonight's jive was a perfect example of that. The best part of this jive (and by "best," I mean the only good part) was that over the back through the legs lift. That was bonkers.
Their second dance choreographed by Mandy Moore was da bomb! I totally dug the shirt thing and seriously Will jumped about fifteen feet in the air right at the beginning. Bonkers!
Comfort and Thayne: first up is a Blankenbuehler (I love his name, hate his choreography) Broadway routine that leaves me cold. Have we seen Blankenbuehler before?
Second up is a smooth waltz and I want to know why they still have this as an option? Poor Comfort and Thayne will be in the bottom six, I predict. Wake me up when they stop dancing.
Kourtni and Matt: Olisa and Cecily's hip hop routine was not doing them any favors tonight. They definitely looked like two contemporary dancers doing hip hop. It did not work. And then their mambo, which had great potential. . . . sigh. Nigel was right when he said Matt needed to "butch" it up. These two are also in danger, I'm afraid.
Chelsie and Mark: I said earlier that I loved the Mandy Moore routines tonight and this was the first one we saw. Awesome. Although I must admit that the song choice drove me nuts. That "Kiss Kiss" song was originally done by a Turkish singer, Tarkan, and the original is SO MUCH better than the lame knockoff.
For their second dance they had the foxtrot. Why oh why did they give Chelsie that awful dress?? It distracted me the whole time and shed feathers everywhere. Other than my blood boiling because of the dress, I was left cold by this routine.
Twitch and Kherington: I don't know what to say about their paso doble. Twitch's shoulders really looked like he was wearing earrings and I couldn't get over that and how awkward he looked the entire time.
The Mia routine, however. . . wow! I loved it! That was fantastic! But not quite as good as Mia's other routine, danced by:
Katee and Joshua: holy cats this routine blew me away. I could feel the depth of emotion. Everything, to my super-dance-trained-eye, was superb. Amazing. Kudos to Mia for a great routine that will also get the audience to vote! Amazing!
Their second routine choreographed by dear Benji -- I almost fell asleep! Seriously why do the judges always love Benji's west coast swing routines?? I always come away from his routines wishing he were the one who actually danced them. Benji and Lacey have the personality for west coast swing. I haven't seen any other dancers (including Pascha from last year) who have what it takes for west coast swing. Katee and Joshua were no exception. The routine was slow and jerky. A total miss for me and I'm glad their first routine was soooo awesome.
Courtney and Gev: their routines are choreographed by the two losing choreographers of the night. Cecily and Olisa are first with a hip hop routine that looked like something out of an early (let's say late eighties, early nineties) rap video. I was so bored with this routine. Their was nothing interesting for me to get in to. Which is sad because I really like Courtney and Gev.
And then their Blankenbuehler Broadway routine. Again, I'm just not feeling it. Blankenbuehler's routines are really leaving me cold tonight.
So my predictions for the danger zone: Courtney and Gev, Kourtni and Matt, Comfort and Thayne.
Going home: Kourtni and Matt. Or Thayne. I'm torn.
Am I too grouchy about last night? Was it really a great night for dance and I am just stuck in some sort of funk? Who do you think is going home?

4 comments:

angie said...

cat looked like a penguin...a very awkward, three bowed penguin

but, i loved the dressed in black mia number - loved it with every piece of me - watched it over and over and will watch it again today i'm sure

i'm totally going on a limb...but what if gev and matt's partner go home?!

and is it just me, or does brittany look a little bit like jon binet ramsey all grown up?

Jen Mo said...

which one is brittany?

angie said...

i've been calling Chelsie brittany in my own head - anyhow, maybe it was the costuming that made me think that - the blue feathers were too much for her

clearly i don't pay enough attention to names!

Ana said...

I am totally in love with Katee and Joshua. And the Mia Michaels rutine they performed was absolutely amazing. I have to be honest though I thought the other rutine with the bed was sort of empty. What were they doing other than just jumping on the bed and throwing rose petals. Yuck. I agree with you about Jessica. I mean I like Will but I thought she did a good job. I don't know why they keep picking on her and don't know how she's able to hold it together when the judges are tearing her appart. Poor kid. Ang, I totally agree about Chelsie. She looks like a total pageant girl.